Disagreements erupted over the county senior hurling championship semi-final this weekend, with Gort GAA Club saying that they would not be able to go ahead due to COVID.
The club, which was due to play St. Thomas’ at Kenny Park today, currently has one confirmed case of COVID-19 among the panel, in a player with an underlying heart condition.
Gort also said that they have a further three players who are showing symptoms, and informed the county that they could not go ahead.
The semi-final match had been due to take place the week before, but was rescheduled to today due to COVID issues at the time.
In a statement issued on Saturday, Galway GAA said that the club informed them that they would not be able to go ahead with the match today.
But the county said that the fixture remains in place, but asked fans not to head to Kenny Park.
“Gort GAA Club have informed Galway GAA that they will not be fulfilling their Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final fixture v St. Thomas’ tomorrow. Galway GAA CCC have reviewed all the evidence presented and have advised that the fixture stands.
“Failure to fulfil the fixture will be dealt with by Galway GAA CCC in the coming days. Patrons are asked not to attend Kenny Park, Athenry tomorrow. Refunds will be issued to ticket holders this week and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.”
For their part, Gort GAA said shortly after this that “above all else” the club has a duty to the families and neighbours of the players and management at this time.
“We do not wish to compromise the privilege of representing our club and community in a county semi final,” the club said on facebook.
“These are indeed the days we have all dreamed of and worked so hard for. However, we cannot, under ultimatum or otherwise, compromise on our aforementioned duty of care.”
Gort asked Galway GAA to reschedule the match to “allow the competition to be completed when it is safe to do so”, but Galway GAA’s response would seem to indicate that a forfeit will be likely.