GALWAY GAA: Keady Double Covers Oranmore/Maree’s Shield

Declan Burke

Under 15 A Hurling Shield Final – Monday, 8th October 2018 

Oranmore/Maree 2-15 Athenry 2-11 

Darren Kelly in Duggan Park 

Oranmore/Maree survived a late Athenry rally to take a four-point victory and win the under 15 A hurling shield.  Richard Burke’s team were 2-10 to 0-6 ahead on 42 minutes after points from Anthony Keady and James Harrison.

Athenry looked beaten but Ronan Jennings found the net before top scorer Kelvin Langan converted a free.  Oranmore/Maree hit back through Evan Grealish and Ruben Davitt but three points from Jennings, Ben Haverty and Langan left Athenry just 2-12 to 1-10 down with nine minutes left.

Ruben Davitt
Ruben Davitt – Man of the Match

Keady scored but Athenry truly back when Haverty started the move that led to Langan rattling the net on 55 minutes.  Another Langan free had just two in it.  But Oranmore/Maree find the resolve to add scores from Davitt and Grealish to carry the day.

Athenry got off to the perfect start leading 0-2 to 0-0 after just seven minutes.  Langan profited from Jennings’ run to split the posts before adding a free.  It could have been better as Eanna Brady’s low drive went wide before Oranmore/Maree opened their account through Davitt on nine minutes.

Despite 10 first half wides, Oranmore/Maree grew in confidence and Rory Burke intercepted an attempted clearance for the equaliser on 13 minutes.  And after Brady set up Ryan O’Donnell for Athenry’s third score, three-in-a-row had the boys in blue two clear.

Rory Burke set up Davitt to make it 0-3 apiece before adding two points himself.  O’Donnell kept Athenry in touch as Oranmore/Maree’s misses weren’t allowing them seize control despite Harrison finishing off for their sixth white flag.  But when they did finally strike, it was a goal worthy of the admittance fee.

O’Rourke, Patrick and Rory Burke and Davitt interchanged before Gavin Smyth supplied Keady allowing Oranmore/Maree lead 1-6 to 0-4 at half-time.  Davitt added a point just after the restart but another fabulous goal on 33 minutes involving five players finished with Keady’s second major.

Points for Harrison (2) and Keady gave Oranmore/Maree their 2-10 to 0-6 cushion before Andrew Lawless’ team threw caution to the wind coming up just short.

Scorers – Oranmore/Maree: Anthony Keady 2-2, Ruben Davitt 0-5 (three frees), Rory Burke 0-3, James Harrison 0-3, Evan Grealish 0-2. 

Scorers – Athenry: Kelvin Langan 1-7 (five frees), Ronan Jennings 1-1,  Ryan O’Donnell 0-2.

Oranmore/Maree: Declan Burke; Conor Butler, Sean Connolly, Cuan Quinlan; Odhran Fahy, Patrick Burke, Michael Whelan; Evan O’Rourke, Evan Grealish; Oisin Holland, Ruben Davitt, Gavin Smyth; Rory Burke, James Harrison, Anthony Keady.

Subs used: Cian Connaughton for Holland (45 mins)

Athenry: Patrick Freeney; Darren O’Brien, Darragh Morrissey, Conor Forde; Matthew Maloney, Ben Haverty, Patrick Cronnelly; Ryan O’Donnell, Ronan Jennings; Eanna Brady, Kelvin Langan, Oisin Ruane; Eoghan Burke, Sean Redmond, Hugh McCann.

Subs used: Gabriel McCann for Ruane (38 mins), Sean Keogh for Burke (57 mins), Eoin Hickey for O’Brien (60 mins), Niall Daly for Forde (60 mins), Jason Qualter for H. McCann (60 mins).

Referee: John Rosney