14.3 C
Home NEWS Delays to National Broadband Plan cannot continue, says Galway TD

Delays to National Broadband Plan cannot continue, says Galway TD

Minister Denis Naughten should set out a timeline for the signing of the contract for the National Broadband Plan, according to Galway West TD Éamon Ó Cuív.

He said that despite submitting a series of Parliamentary Questions, Minister Denis Naughten has failed to give any indications as to when the contract for the National Broadband Plan will be signed.

“These delays are having a serious impact on the hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses who are still waiting to be connected to the network,” he said.

The Fianna Fáil TD argued that this has had a major knock-on effect, particularly in rural Ireland, which he claims is most affected by the delays.

“Farmers cannot complete online applications for payments, schools are unable to access educational aids and businesses are unable to operate fully functional online services.

“I have recently noticed that the Minister’s language has changed – claiming that 90% of the country will be covered by 2020, while completely ignoring the fact that the bulk of the remaining 10% of people who won’t be covered are living and working in rural Ireland.

“They need this service as urgently as anyone else.

“The current impasse cannot be allowed to continue.

“The Minister needs to announce a date for the contract to be signed so that the scheme can be rolled out to the areas which need it most,” added the Galway West TD.


Michael Malone
Email me at editor@galwaydaily.com

Our new restaurants page features all of Galway’s favourite eateries –  making it oh so easy to choose when and where to eat whenever you’re craving some delicious food!

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Professor at NUI Galway given highest honour within European life sciences

A researcher at NUI Galway has been given the lifetime honour of membership of the European Molecular Biology Organization, it was announced today. Professor Brian...

Galway companies awarded over €10 million to develop groundbreaking medical technologies

Over €10 million in government funding has been awarded to Galway companies partnering with NUIG research teams to develop groundbreaking medical technologies. Three projects aimed...

High drinking water quality reported in Galway’s public supplies in 2019

Galway's public water supplies were recorded as having very high water quality compliance levels last year according to the latest information from the EPA. The...
Your Cart