The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID vaccine is now available in 24 pharmacies across Galway, the Irish Pharmacy Union (IPU) has revealed.
The IPU is now calling for this to be extended, so that all pharmacies registered to administer jabs have access to the Pfizer vaccine.
Pharmacies started vaccinating in last month and have so far administered over 123,000 vaccines nationwide.
This has predominantly been the Janssen vaccine, available to people aged between 18 and 34, and to people aged 50 and older in over 950 pharmacies across the country.
A smaller number of pharmacies, chosen because of their distance to the nearest vaccine centre, are also offering the Pfizer vaccine to patients aged 18 and over, in line with the HSE Vaccination Centres.
Darragh O’Loughlin, Secretary General of the IPU, explained that pharmacists are trained, experienced vaccinators and they are delighted to finally have the opportunity to support the vaccination campaign.
“Now the people of Galway can receive a vaccine in the convenience and comfort of their local pharmacy,” said Mr O’Loughlin.
“People can book an appointment directly with their local pharmacy and, when called, attend at a set time and be on their way home all within 30 minutes.”
He said that since pharmacists began administering COVID 19 vaccines, there has been universally positive feedback and a huge level of demand from all age groups.
“The ongoing level of demand will need to be matched by supply or pharmacies will be forced to suspend vaccinations,” added Mr O’Loughlin.
List of participating pharmacies in Galway
- Boots Pharmacy, Knocknacarra
- Brodericks Pharmacy, Ballinasloe
- Brogans Totalhealth Pharmacy, Loughrea
- Colm’s Life Pharmacy &Health Food Store, Salthill
- Connollys Pharmacy, Oranmore
- Craughwell Pharmacy, Craughwell
- Dalys Pharmacy, Gort
- Duane’s Pharmacy, Ballinasloe
- Feely’s Totalhealth Pharmacy, Tuam
- Gleesons Pharmacy, Tuam
- Hayes & Hayes Pharmacy, Portumna
- HighCross Pharmacy, Tuam
- Kinvara Pharmacy, Kinvara
- Leahys Pharmacy, Loughrea
- Loughrea Careplus Pharmacy, Loughrea
- Matt O’Flaherty Chemists, Barna
- Matt O’Flaherty Chemists, Moycullen
- McSharrys Pharmacy, Athenry
- Medwell Allcare Pharmacy, Tuam
- Murphy’s Totalhealth , Ballinasloe
- Quinns Pharmacy, Gort
- Ryders Pharmacy, Headford
- Sweeneys Pharmacy, Claregalway
- Walshs Pharmacy, Tuam
Mr O’Loughlin added: “We know that supplies of the Janssen vaccine may be limited for a time, therefore we are calling for all participating pharmacies to be provided supplies of the Pfizer- BioNTech vaccine as well.
“Now that the eligibility for vaccines has been expanded to younger age groups, the challenge of getting to vaccination centres will become amplified.
“Younger people are less likely to have access to a car, often have childcare constraints and may have less flexible employment. Convenience will be key to completing the vaccination campaign and that is what local pharmacies offer.”