The 14-day COVID incidence rate has increased in all of Co. Galway’s ten Local Electoral Areas, new data has revealed.
The rate in Gort-Kinvara LEA is now the highest in the county with 582.9 cases per 100,000 people – an increase of over 300% in one week.
Tuam LEA has the second highest incidence rate (560.4) while Loughrea’s 14-day rate of 348.9 cases per 100,000 people is the lowest in the county.
But despite it being lowest in the country, the rate there is now considerably more than the highest rate in the county last week which was in Galway City Central (202.2).
The incidence rate has more than doubled in the city since last week, with the rate rising to over 400 in all three city LEAs.
The national incidence rate at the time this data was taken was 674.4, but the rate has since risen to 936.4 after a sharp increase in cases reported this week by health officials.
14-day Covid rates per 100k population | Number of cases
- Gort – Kinvara 582.9 | 137 cases
- Tuam 560.4 | 186 cases
- Galway City West 532.1 | 135 cases
- Galway City Central 479.4 | 128 cases
- Conamara South 426.4 | 91 cases
- Galway City East 424.9 | 113 cases
- Athenry – Oranmore 374.6 | 123 cases
- Conamara North 372.3 | 64 cases
- Ballinasloe 355.7 | 100 cases
- Loughrea 348.9 | 81 cases
Data from 22/12/2020 to 04/01/2021