The number of people diagnosed with COVID-19 at University Hospital Galway has fallen to 12, with four of those patients receiving care in ICU.
There are also two people with the disease at Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe, but neither of the confirmed cases are in the intensive care unit as of 8pm on Thursday evening.
There were no further hospitalisations of confirmed coronavirus cases at either hospital in the 24 hours to 8pm yesterday.
The Department of Health reported a further 1,355 COVID-19 cases in the Republic yesterday evening.
The chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan said that the ongoing analysis of the epidemiological situation has informed the NPHET recommendation to evolve public health management of school settings from Monday next.
“The resumption of in-person education was associated with a significant increase in the numbers of children referred for testing in recent weeks,” he said.
“This increase was driven by the screening of asymptomatic children who had been identified as close contacts. This action was precautionary and was due to the diligence of parents and guardians bringing their children for tests.
“Despite significantly increased testing in this age group, there has only been a relatively modest increase in the detection of cases.
“We have also seen the associated positivity rate decrease from 16% to 5% which is very reassuring.”