9.8 C
Galway
Home NEWS 1,000 fewer people on Pandemic Unemployment in Galway this week

1,000 fewer people on Pandemic Unemployment in Galway this week

There are 1,000 fewer people in receipt of Pandemic Unemployment payments in Galway as of Monday than a week before according to the latest figures.

Data from the Department of Social Protection and Employment Affairs shows that Pandemic Unemployment payments are being made to 27,300 people in Galway this week.

Nationwide, the government is making weekly payments of €174.6 million to 498,700 people, down by almost 19,000 in the past week.

Since last week, 33,000 people have closed their claim for Pandemic Unemployment as they are returning to work, and 21,900 of those are receiving their last payment today.

Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection, Regina Doherty said that the number of people making use of the special scheme continues to “gradually decline”, now dropping below half a million.

“Only a few short weeks ago, there were approximately 600,000 receiving the payment so some progress has been made but it is also clear that the return to a new normal will be gradual and incremental.

“That is why I extended the payment beyond its originally planned life cycle into August.”

“My department will continue to monitor the rate of the economy’s reopening, the continuing need for income support and the developing health situation and will develop a number of options for Government to consider before the scheme’s projected end in August.”

There are also now more than 60,600 employers taking part in the Wage Subsidy Scheme, which sees the government cover the majority of an employees wages.

This scheme is currently supporting an estimated 400,000 people, and has helped 532,000 employees since it began.

The above payments are in addition to the 225,600 people who were reported on the Live Register as of the end of May.

Briain Kelly
Email: news@galwaydaily.com
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

COVID-19: 90 deaths and 53 Galway cases today

There have been 90 additional deaths related to COVID-19 reported by the Department of Health today, along with 928 new confirmed cases.Of today's cases,...

Taoiseach confirms new lockdown and travel restrictions

An Taoiseach Michéal Martin has confirmed that Ireland will be in lockdown until at least 5 March.The Taoiseach said the lockdown is having a...

Galway hospitals extend deferral of surgeries and outpatient clinics

Restrictions on face to face outpatient clinics and non-essential surgery in Galway's hospitals have been renewed due to the ongoing pressure caused by the...