Cork 0-13 Galway 1-3 

Galway’s opening game in the National Camogie League ended in disappointment today as they were comprehensively beaten by Cork in the second half at the Cork Camogie Grounds.

The Tribeswomen started brightly, attacking in waves, and were rewarded with an Ailish O’Reilly goal.  This followed a Rebecca Hennelly free that gave Galway a 1-1 to 0-1 lead but they didn’t register again for 40 minutes as the All-Ireland champions took total control.

Hennelly’s free came after just 30 seconds following a foul on Ann Marie Starr from the throw-in.  The Ardrahan centre back converted and the visitors grew in confidence creating two goal chances inside three minutes.

Niamh Hanniffy was Galway’s prominent performer setting up both attacks.  Finola Keely was involved in the first that saw O’Reilly blocked down.  Hanniffy retrieved possession to set up Rachel Monaghan only for Amy Lee to make the stop.

Cork also nearly secured a major when Orla Cronin was denied by Shauna Burke.  The Craughwell keeper made three quality first half saves even if two came at the concession of frees.

But on six minutes, a pluck from the sky by Hanniffy started another attack, Shauna Healy assisted and O’Reilly’s low strike put Galway three ahead.

That was their lot as they trailed 0-5 to 1-1 at half-time thanks to Amy O’Connor, Cotter (2) and Hannah Looney.  While Burke was also on hand to deny Linda Collins and Cotter.

In the second half, Galway lost their shape as Cork controlled the tempo with ease as Cotter and Ashling Thompson sat back and allowed O’Connor pick the gaps in Galway’s defence.

A Cotter hat-trick and O’Connor made it 0-9 to 1-1 on 40 minutes before the Tribewomen’s first attack of the half only for Hanniffy to be harshly pulled up for overcarrying.

Some of referee Liz Dempsey’s decisions frustrated Galway even if they had no influence on the result.  O’Reilly being delayed taking a placed ball because she was too far out was interesting.  And the umpire flagged a Hennelly free wide even if it clearly looked like a point.

Aoife Donohue ended Galway’s drought with a free on 44 minutes before getting Galway’s only minor from play four minutes later.  But Cork were already on double figures thanks to O’Connor after Burke and Sarah Dervan cleared a dropping Cotter free.

It was Galway’s final score as Cork finished with points for Cotter, O’Connor and Orla Cronin.  Galway have three weeks to their next outing against Tipperary and will take plenty from this.  But they have work to do.


Galway – Ailish O’Reilly 1-0, Aoife Donohue 0-2 (one free), Rebecca Hennelly (0-1, free)

Cork – Orla Cotter 0-7 (five frees, one ’45), Amy O’Connor 0-4, Hannah Looney 0-1, Orla Cronin 0-1

Galway: Shauna Burke; Roisin Black, Sarah Dervan, Lorraine Ryan; Siobhan Coen, Rebecca Hennelly, Heather Cooney; Ann Marie Starr, Shauna Healy; Finola Keely, Niamh Hanniffy, Caitriona Cormican; Aoife Donohue, Ailish O’Reilly, Rachel Monaghan.  Subs used: Ava Lynskey for Keely (39 mins), Emma Helebert for Coen (47 mins), Ciara Murphy for Monaghan (53 mins).

Cork: Amy Lee; Leanne O’Sullivan, Laura Treacy, Meabh Cahalane; Pamela Mackey, Finola Neville, Chloe Sigerson; Libby Coppinger, Ashling Thompson; Hannah Looney, Orla Cronin, Amy O’Connor; Orla Cotter, Niamh McCarthy, Linda Collins.  Subs used: Lauren Homan for McCarthy (53 mins), Aileen Sheehan for Cahalane (53 mins).

Referee: Liz Dempsey (Kilkenny)