Gort GAA expresses gratitude for St. Thomas’ generous spirit

Galway Daily news Shock and sadness at death of Athenry Camogie player after accident in match

Gort GAA have expressed their gratitude to St. Thomas’ for their generosity in allowing the senior hurling semi-final to be rescheduled to this week.

Gort and their staunch rivals are due to play in the semi-finals of the Brooks this Sunday after a tense standoff that could have seen the match go to St. Thomas by default.

This will be the third fixture for the semi-final after two previous times weren’t able to go ahead due to COVID in the Gort camp.

The original date for the match of November 7 was cancelled and rescheduled for last weekend with the consent of Galway GAA.

But before the match was due to go ahead in Kenny Park last weekend, Gort said that they still had a positive case in a player with an underlying heart condition, and three more showing symptoms.

Consequently, the club said that they would not be able to make the fixture.

Things looked serious when Galway GAA said that they had “reviewed all the evidence presented and have advised that the fixture stands”.

Fortunately, the very same day St. Thomas’ made a proposal for the match to be rescheduled, which was accepted by the county board.

Following St. Tomas’ offer, Galway GAA said that they were “happy to facilitate” the proposal, and thanked the club for their “generous gesture” that allowed the championship to move ahead.

Gort GAA also said that they sincerely appreciate the offer for a rescheduled fixture from St. Thomas’.

“We understand the difficult situation both clubs were in and the effects on officers, management and most importantly players.”

“St. Thomas’ ensured the integrity of the competition was kept intact. We look forward to a good sporting game this weekend.”

The Senior Hurling Semi-Final will take place this Sunday at 1:30pm this Sunday. The county emphasised that all previously purchased tickets have been refunded, and are not valid.

The winner of this match will go on to play Clarinbridge in the Brooks Cup final.