GALWAY GAA – Under 16 Final: Ballygar 4-17 Tommy Larkins 2-5

Ballygar Hurling

Ocean Hygiene Under 16 B Hurling Shield Final – Monday, 9th July 2018 

Ballygar 4-17 Tommy Larkins 2-5 

Darren Kelly in Duggan Park

Ballygar delivered a dominant display to take county silverware in Ballinasloe as they led from start to finish in this under 16 B Hurling Shield Final.

Two Frankie Quinn goals and majors for John Calligy and Evan Duffy ensured Frank Harkin’s team were always destined for the winners’ enclosure despite conceding second half green flags to Cathal O’Hehir and Keith Dervan.

Ballygar led 0-3 to 0-0 inside seven minutes thanks to Evan and Ryan Duffy, and Eammon Trayers before Conor Slattery opened Tommy Larkins’ account.  And after Ballygar’s Greg Thomas and Larkins’ Augustine Lyons traded minors, two more Thomas frees made it 0-6 to 0-2 on 13 minutes.

It was an entertaining final played and the Woodford/Ballinakill team played their part in keeping it competitive in the opening 30 minutes.  Keith Dervan and Slattery tallied placed balls to reduce arrears to two but 1-3 unanswered from the north Galway team was significant.

Evan Duffy made it 0-7 to 0-4 on 19 minutes but after Quinn’s dangerous ball from the right four minutes later, the alert Calligy got the touch for Ballygar’s first goal.  Further points for Thomas and Evan Duffy left it 1-9 to 0-4 at half-time.

Ballygar seized the initiative and Evan Duffy also threatened goal before the break.  But they put their lead to double digits five minutes after the restart when Quinn got his first three-pointer.

Dervan hit back for Tommy Larkins but they struggled to open any routes back.  Trayers and Ryan Duffy both troubled the umpires by the 42nd minute to make it 2-11 to 0-5.

It was certain that Liam Hanley’s team needed goals and they got a break when O’Hehir capitalised on a moment of defensive uncertainty following Lyons’ delivery for their first goal.

But Ballygar’s character shone through as they replied with two Thomas frees by the 50th minute.

Dervan did send a Tommy Larkins free to the net seven minutes from time giving them a glimmer of hope.  But it proved to be their final score as Ballygar finished with 2-4 without reply.

Trayers pointed before Evan Duffy finally got his goal on 54 minutes.  And after Ryan Duffy added a point, Quinn’s second goal was the icing on the cake.

Evan and Ryan Duffy bookended the scoring finishing with further white flags to conclude a quality Ballygar showing giving great hope for the club’s future.


Ballygar – Evan Duffy 1-4, Greg Thomas 0-7 (five frees), Frankie Quinn 2-0, Ryan Duffy 0-3 (one free), Eammon Trayers 0-3, John Calligy 1-0. 

Tommy Larkins – Keith Dervan 1-2 (all frees), Cathal O’Hehir 1-0, Conor Slattery 0-2 (one free), Augustine Lyons 0-1 

Ballygar: Jamie Doyle; Brian Kelly, Tom Collins, Edward Kileheeny; Aaron Hannon, Seamus Langan, Paddy Downey; Ryan Duffy, Greg Thomas; Evan Duffy, Frankie Quinn, James Connelley; Gerard Calligy, Eammon Trayers, John Calligy.

Tommy Larkins: Ciaran Sheil; Eoin Cunningham, Cian Daniels, Brian Tuohy; Paul Fahy, Donal Keane, Denis O’Connor; Keith Dervan, Shane Whyte; Cian Duggan, Conor Slattery, Geraoid Hanley; Noel Sheil, Cathal O’Hehir, Augustine Lyons.

Referee: Owen Shaughnessy