Under 14 B1 Hurling Final – Sunday, 20th May 2018 

Ballinderreen 2-5 Mullagh/Kiltormer 2-5 

Darren Kelly in Kenny Park 

A late goal means these two teams will do it all again after Kealan McNamee’s late goal secured a draw for Ballinderreen.

Mullagh/Kiltormer were in control after substitute Adam Rocke struck a 30th minute goal that gave them a four-point cushion but they had to withstand an onslaught from their opponents desperately trying to save the tie.

David Mannion converted a point two minutes later but Ballinderreen couldn’t find a way through until four minutes from time.  Ciaran Bailey’s run opened a chance and McNamee took advantage of a slip to get the equalising goal.

Mullagh/Kiltormer would be gutted for letting this slip after starting in dominant fashion as they led 1-2 to 0-0 after just five minutes.

Their goal came in the first attack with Oisin Coen hitting the net.  Ben Bleahen set up Conor Dolphin for a point before Coen added a free.  It could have been better as Cian Daly and Adam Nevin combined for another chance and Ballinderreen finally opened on eight minutes thanks to Matthew O’Connor’s free.

However, 60 seconds later they were back in the contest.  Stephen Mannion’s free led to Bailey forcing a stop from Matthew Lyons before Niall Delaney finished to the net making it 1-2 to 1-1.  And after being fouled himself on 13 minutes, Bailey converted a free to level affairs.

It was an exciting game enjoyed by a packed stand as Coen drove a free between the posts from 60 yards before O’Connor replied for Ballinderreen on 18 minutes.  But another Coen placed ball gave Mullagh/Kiltormer a 1-4 to 1-3 interval advantage.

When Bailey added another score 58 seconds after the restart to restore parity for the third time, a tight 20 minutes were expected.  But it compared more to a rollercoaster with both teams having their moment in the ascendancy.

A Rory Lyons free on 28 minutes gave Mullagh/Kiltormer back the edge before Rocke was perfectly placed to get their second goal.  It looked the winner but after Mannion got one back, McNamee secured the draw.  That replay will take place in Kenny Park on Saturday (26th May) at 5pm.


Ballinderreen – Niall Delaney 1-0, Kealan McNamee 1-0, Matthew O’Connor 0-2 (both frees), Ciaran Bailey 0-1 (free), David Mannion 0-1

Mullagh/Kiltormer – Oisin Coen 1-3 (three frees), Adam Rocke 1-0, Conor Dolphin 0-1, Rory Lyons 0-1 (free)

Ballinderreen: Shane Cassidy; Paul Kelly, Michael Leahy, Ronan Larkin; Donnacha Ganly, Matthew O’Connor, Ross Valentine; Stephen Mannion, David Mannion; Kealen McNamee, Eoin Moylan, Ross Ruane; Darragh Lyons, Ciaran Bailey, Niall Delaney.  Subs used: Conor Murphy for Ruane (32 mins).

Mullagh/Kiltormer: Matthew Lyons; Joseph Frehill, Cormac Callanan, Ronan Kelly; Mark Kilkenny, Rory Lyons, Tomas McCann; Tiernan Coen, Cian Daly; Ryan McDermott, Oisin Coen, Cillian Finnerty; Ben Bleahen, Adam Nevin, Conor Dolphin.  Subs used: Adam Rocker for Nevin (26 mins), Conor Coen for Frehill (38 mins).

Referee: Adrian Mooney