Early Learning and School Age Childcare providers in Galway have been awarded almost €600,000 in grant funding announced this week.
Children’s Minister Katherine Zappone said that €6.25 million is being invested in creating new places for 0-3 year olds, new school age childcare places, and essential fire safety improvements for community-owned services.
In Galway 19 separate organisations were awarded a total of €564,871 in grant funding, with Pobal in the process of notifying successful applicants.
The Early Learning and School Age Capital funding for 2019 will be made available to childcare centres, crèches and other childcare facilities across three strands.
Strand A covers creating new places for 0 – 3 year olds at Early Learning and Care services, Stand B is for fire safety improvements at Early Learning and Care services, and Strand C funding goes towards creating new places for School Age children in childcare services.
Minister Zappone said that €6.25 million announced this week will contribute towards creating 3,600 new places for children up to the age of 15.
One of the notable groups included in the Strand A funding is Mountbellew Childcare Centre which applied for a Pobal grant for a desperately needed expansion.
It’s been reported that demand is so high that the 50 places open at the Centre are booked up in advance with children who haven’t even been born yet.
The centre applied for a €70,000 Pobal grant. The Early Learning and School Age Capital Scheme is providing €50,000 under Strand A, leaving a €20,000 shortfall to be addressed.
Galway East TD Sean Canney welcomed this news saying that “Working parents are under enough pressure without having to worry about a lack of available places.”
“It is also great news for the successful groups who engaged in a highly competitive application and appraisal process.”
The full list of successful applicants for funding in Galway is:
Strand A Total – €330394
- Aoife O Driscoll Limited – €48,267
- Ionad Cúram Leanaí An Spidéil Cuideachta Faoi Theorainn Ráthaíochta – €50,000
- Once Upon a Time… Childcare Limited – €21,826
- Edel Hyland – €50,000
- Ballinderry Childcare Creche Limited – €49,998
- Mountbellew Community Childcare Centre – €50,000
- Comhar Naionra Na Gaeltachta Cuideachta Faoi Theorainn Ráthaíochta – €40,576
- Mary Margaret Gilligan – €19,727
No groups in Galway were awarded grants under Strand B covering fire and safety improvements for Early Learning and Care Groups.
Strand C Total – €234477
- Michelle Cannon – €20,000
- Sarah Grogan – €17,643
- Aoife O Driscoll Limited – €20,000
- Samantha Geaghan – €20,000
- Oranmore Childcare Limited – €11,000
- Edel Hyland – €20,000
- The Cortoon/Lavally Community Development Company – €20,000
- Oranmore Childcare Limited – €20,000
- Valerie Byrnes, Noeleen Smith, Emma Hammond – €20,000
- Denise Rabbitte – €10,215
- Beoga Preschool Limited – €15,739
- Scoil Bhride Menlo National School – €19,880
- Lawrencetown Community Development Group – €20,000