Drafts plans published for major development on Dyke Road site

0
1395
Dyke Road development plans

The Land Development Agency (LDA) and Galway City Council (GCC) have published a new draft Site Development Framework for a mixed-use development on the Dyke Road.

The plans include affordable and social housing, along with commercial, civic and cultural amenities at the edge of Galway’s city centre.

The residential development is the first phase of the overall Development Framework, and a planning application will be submitted later this year.

The draft Site Development Framework follows public engagement on the Corrib Causeway: Tóchar na Coiribe vision document for the development, which will be within easy walking distance of Eyre Square and the Headford Road area.

The Dyke Road site forms part of a strategic brownfield landbank, which is owned by Galway City Council and has been identified for comprehensive redevelopment.

The landbank extends to approximately 1.78 hectares, and the new draft Site Development Framework outlines proposals for a development over three phases. Planning permission for Phase 1 is likely to be sought later this year.

The planned development has been given the working title of ‘Corrib Causeway: Tóchar na Coiribe’ and includes high quality affordable and social apartments, as well as commercial, civic and cultural amenities.

Leonard Cleary, Chief Executive of Galway City Council said, “We have been very pleased with the level of engagement from the public on the Corrib Causeway proposals.”

“It’s a development that has huge potential, and which will reenergise an underutilised site into a new sustainable community. Working with our partners in the LDA, we have refined our original vision to deliver this draft Site Development Framework, ahead of a further consultation period.”

“I believe it will deliver a vibrant neighbourhood with quality, affordable homes and sought after green spaces and amenities.”

“I look forward to hearing from local resident, businesses and community groups as to how we can create a development where people are proud to call home.”

The new draft Site Development Framework effectively refines and adds more detail to the development plans as outlined previously in the vision document published earlier this year.

A second public consultation phase, including meetings and workshops will now be held to allow for more public feedback.

The Site Development Framework provides details on the planned delivery of 219 one, two and three-bedroom apartments, within a development ranging in height from 5 to 9 storeys, alongside a creche, communal open spaces, playgrounds and new landscaping along Dyke Road.

It’s envisaged that 90% of the homes will be cost rental, providing secure, long-term accommodation at a discounted market rate, and will be managed by the LDA. The remaining 10% will be offered as social homes by Galway City Council.

The longer-term plan for the development includes new cycleways and walkways, green spaces and improved transport connections to surrounding amenities including Terryland Forest Park and Galway Shopping Centre.

Phelim O’Neill, Head of Property with the Land Development Agency said, “I am delighted to see this vision for a new housing development at Corrib Causeway gain momentum.”

“This is an important regeneration project for Galway City, which will provide much-needed affordable homes, alongside new community and commercial amenities.”

“Delivering affordable and social housing developments as quickly as possible is a priority for the LDA. While we are seeking to accelerate delivery, it is vital that local people and other stakeholders are given opportunities to engage and consult with us on our plans.”

He added that it is “vitally important” that local residents, businesses, and community groups continue to take part in the consultation process to develop the finalised plans for the area.

The draft Site Development Framework can be accessed on the Corrib Causeway website, and information about upcoming meetings and events will be made available online.

Once the consultation process has concluded a planning application will be submitted, with construction on site expected by 2026