The deadline is fast approaching to nominate individuals and groups in Galway City for the annual Mayor’s Awards.
The Mayor’s Awards acknowledge outstanding people and organisations that, through their commitment to participating in unpaid community and voluntary activities, have had a significant impact on the quality of life of their communities in Galway City.
Speaking at the launch of this year’s awards, Mayor Mike Cubbard highlighted the outstanding work done by volunteers throughout the city.
He said these awards provide an opportunity to highlight the contributions of these volunteers, who might go unrecognised in day to day life.
Groups and individuals can be nominated in nine different categories:
- Arts, Culture, Heritage & Cúrsaí Gaeilge Award
- Residents & Local Areas Award
- Community Service & Social Inclusion Award
- Older Person Volunteer of the Year Award
- Sports Volunteer of the Year Award
- Children and Youth Support Award
- Young Volunteer of the Year
- Environmental Sustainability Award
- The Galway City Council Volunteer of the Year Award
The deadline to nominate someone for the awards is Friday, March 6, and the winners will be announced on Tuesday, April 21 at The Galmont Hotel & Spa.
Winners will receive a specially commissioned trophy and a payment of €500. All nominees will also be presented with an individually designed Mayoral Certificate
This year the city council is also encouraging online nominations to make the process easier, forms for which can be found on the city council website here.
image credit: Brian Harding