One in every 102 people in the Galway City Central LEA has tested positive for Covid-19 over the past two weeks, according to updated data released last night.
Galway City Central now has a 14-day incidence rate of 981.2 cases per 100,000 people, the third highest rate in the Republic after Ballyjamesduff in Cavan and Ratoath in Meath.
The incidence rate in the local electoral area has risen by 476 in the past week.
Elsewhere in Co. Galway, Conamara South now has one of the highest rates the county with 538.9 cases per 100,000 people – 115 confirmed cases in 14 days.
The rate also increased in Conamara North, where there were 22 new confirmed cases over the past fortnight, giving the area an incidence rate of 128.
Ballinasloe continues to have the lowest rate in the county, with just 32 positive test results in two weeks, or 113.8 cases per 100,000. But this is more than twice last’s weeks figure.
In Gort-Kinvara LEA and Loughrea LEA, the number of cases per 100,000 people over 14 days has doubled.
Galway City East now has a 14-day Covid rate of 383.5 and in Galway City West it is 291.7.
But despite the spike in Covid cases across the county, there has not been a major increase in hospitalisations to date.
There were ten people in UHG yesterday with the virus and three in Portiuncula. The HSE did not release a breakdown for the ICU figures yesterday, but on Wednesday there were no Covid patients in ICU in Galway.
The latest data, released yesterday evening, counts cases in the two weeks prior to 19 October.
14-day incidence rate by Co. Galway LEA
- Galway City Central: 981 cases per 100k (+476.2) | 262 cases in past 14 days (+115)
- Conamara South: 538.9 (+426.4) | 115 cases (+91)
3. Galway City East: 383.5 (+195.5) | 102 cases (+52)
4. Galway City West: 291.7 (+71) | 74 cases (+18)
5. Gort- Kinvara: 208.5 (+110.6) | 49 cases (+26)
6. Loughrea: 198.1 (+ 133.5) | 46 cases (+31)
7. Athenry – Oranmore: 143.1 (+27.4)| 47 cases (+9)
8. Conamara North: 128 (+81.5) | 22 cases (+14)
9. Tuam: 123.5 (-3) | 41 cases (-1)
10. Ballinasloe: 113.8 (+71.1 ) | 32 cases (+20)