16.7 C
Galway
Home NEWS City Council refuses to allocate €2.5 million more to Galway 2020

City Council refuses to allocate €2.5 million more to Galway 2020

Galway City Council rejected a call to allocate an additional €2.5 million in funding to Galway 2020 in a council meeting on Monday night.

Galway 2020 had made a request for the additional funding last month, but the council deferred any decision at that meeting.

At a contentious meeting of the city council on Monday night the request was defeated by 11 votes to five the Irish Times reports.

It was planned that the additional funding would be provided by paying €1.25 million out of the city budgets for 2021 and 2022.

The council deferred its decision last month due to a perceived lack of transparency around what specifically the money was for.

Galway 2020 had also requested that the money already pledged to the event be front loaded to deliver as quickly as possible.

If it had passed, this motion would have brought the total level of funding provided by the city council to the Capital of Culture project to €8.5 million.

Chief Executive Brendan McGrath supported the motion, saying Galway 2020 would deliver strong economic returns for the city.

However, it is reported in the Times that there was concern from councillors about transparency and how money is being spent on the project.

CEO of Galway 2020 Patricia Philbin said that some of the events planned for the year may have to be cancelled or scaled down as a result of funding issues.

However she said that all of the events included in the original bid book will proceed in some form.

The opening ceremony for Galway 2020, which was meant to take place last Saturday, was also raised at the meeting.

The ceremony had to be called off due to an Status Orange weather warning in place that day, prompting some to ask why the exposed South Park area in the Claddagh was ever chosen.

Patricia Philbin said that they are looking into recouping some of the costs of the cancelled ceremony via the event’s insurance policy.

Briain Kelly
Email: news@galwaydaily.com
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Coronavirus: No deaths reported today, 67 new cases

No further deaths have been reported to the NPHET today, but 67 new cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed in the Republic. None of the...

“We’re so grateful to them” – Rescued teenager thanks local heroes for saving her life

Seventeen-year-old Ellen Glynn has said that she is "so grateful" to the two fishermen who saved her life yesterday morning after she and her...

Galway homes to be among first connected to National Broadband Plan

Townlands in Co Galway are to be among the first to be connected to the National Broadband Plan Network, it has been confirmed. National Broadband...
Your Cart