Appeal lodged against rejection of 24m high mobile mast

0
695
Galway Daily news Appeal lodged against rejection of 24m high mobile mast

The City Council’s refusal of planning permission for a 24m high mobile telecoms mast on the west side of the city is being appealed to An Bord Pleanála.

Vantage Towers Ltd sought approval from the council for a 24m high lattice telecoms tower off the Cappagh Road, north of the junction with the Western Distributor Road.

The plans were rejected by Galway City Council last month, due to the proximity of the site to the proposed N6 Ring Road route, an issue which was also raised by Transport Infrastructure Ireland.

“If permitted, the proximity of the proposed development will prejudice the plans for the delivery of this scheme and materially contravene the policy of the Galway City Development Plan 2017 – 2023,” the council’s decision said.

That decision has now been appealed to An Bord Pleanála, which is due to rule on the case by November 14 of this year.

In seeking approval for the mast, Vantage Towers said that it was necessary as the existing monopole mast on the site is being decommissioned.

The plans said that the application is specifically on behalf of Vodafone, but that the mast would also be of use for Eir and Three.