18.8 C
Galway
Home COURTS Woman sentenced for stealing phone after more than two years

Woman sentenced for stealing phone after more than two years

A woman was sentenced for stealing a phone more than two years ago this week after skipping a hearing date and taking multiple bench warrants.

Tracy Mulqueen (35), with a listed address at Kilnasoolagh Park, Newmarket On Fergus in Co. Clare, pleaded guilty to stealing a phone from Cash Creators store on Eglinton Street back on December 21, 2017.

She was identified on cctv and subsequently arrested after the incident. The phone, valued at €399, was not recovered.

Ms Mulqueen also pleaded guilty to Failing to Appear before the District Court while on bail last December.

She had previously taken a dedicated hearing date at Galway District Court to contest the charge, and failed to show up for her own hearing.

Two bench warrants for her arrest were issued from Galway during the course of this case, which were executed in Ennis.

After being arrested in Ennis on foot of these bench warrants, and another from Limerick, she did not take up bail.

Judge Mary Fahy remarked that “she’s certainly put the state to some trouble and expense.” at this week’s sentencing.

Solicitor for the accused Ronan Murphy said that his client has a long history of addiction, and is currently in emergency accommodation.

He also said that at the time of this offence she was in a relationship with a man who was “exercising a certain amount of control over her”, and that this person took the phone off her.

Judge Fahy said that she was not suitable for Community Service due to the missed court dates and bench warrants.

She imposed a prison sentence of 4 months for the phone theft, with a two month concurrent sentence on the failure to appear charge.

The judge refused to suspend any part of the sentence, saying that the manner in which Ms Mulqueen dealt with this case is “disgraceful”.

Recognisance was fixed at a total of €1,000 in the event of an appeal, which includes €400 of her own money and a €600 independent surety.

Briain Kelly
Email: news@galwaydaily.com
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

School bus contractors being left without COVID-19 guidance – Naughten

Private school bus operators are not being given guidance on COVID-19 protocols that need to be in place when schools return, a Galway TD...

Galway 2020 unveils new programme of events

Galway 2020 has unveiled its revised programme for the Capital of Culture project starting this Autumn after being forced to cancel events from March...

Gardaí investigating Eyre Square stabbing

Gardaí are investigating a stabbing incident that is reported to have occurred in Eyre Square, Galway City last night. The alleged stabbing took place at...
Your Cart