Galway 2020 has announced that it is either postponing or cancelling many upcoming events to help limit the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus.
The government issued guidance on measures to contain the coronavirus, including saying that events which can expect to have more than 500 people in attendance outdoors, and 100 people indoors, should be cancelled.
This has affected many events which are part of the Galway 2020 programme of events up to March 29, the current timeframe for the government’s containment measures.
• The Deepest Shade of Green- West of Sumer, Saolta Arts, Launch and talk
• Northern Peripheries, Galway Stories Through A Lens, Galway Film Centre in association with Screen Talent Europe
• West Words, Apeirogon, Galway Public Libraries
• Comhaltas – Moycullen 17th March
• Livefeed (Loughrea)
• Laurie Anderson, To The Moon
• Onside & National Football Exhibition, FAI
• TULCA – Threads
• Immersive Classroom, NUIG
• Reimagine Loughrea, Irish Architecture Foundation
• Buzzing – Kiltiernan National School
• Savage Beauty, Kari Kola -(ticket holders will be contacted directly and will receive a refund)
• Sruth Na Teanga – Branar
• Home Truths: Domestic Violence Response Exhibition
• Interaction, Galway Theatre Festival launch event
“While Galway 2020 and our Cultural Partners are extremely disappointed to have made these decisions, public health is our number one priority,” the Capital of Culture team said in a statement.
All performances which were due to take place at the Town Hall and Black Box theatres up to March 29 have also been cancelled.