Lough Cutra Castle Triathlon and Multi-Sport Festival postponed to September

galway daily breaking news triathlon postponed

Lough Cutra Castle Triathlon and Multiport Festival is usually the first to kickstart the triathlon racing season in the West of Ireland, but it has been postponed once again because of COVID.

Typically held on the last weekend of May, it is one of the biggest and successful endurance sport event weekends in Ireland, attracting athletes of all levels from across the country and further afield since 2012.

In 2020 the event fell victim to the escalating global pandemic and it came as no surprise that Brian Adcock of the Castle Triathlon Series took the decision to defer the May 2020 event outright to May 2021.

Almost 12 months on from making that decision and with the continuing uncertainty and unpredictability surrounding COVID-19 and the Level 5 restrictions, the difficult decision has been taken to defer the 2021 May event to the September 11 and 12 this year

Speaking about the decision to postpone the race weekend to September 2021, Brian Adcock of The Castle Triathlon Series said that with 16 weeks to go to race weekend at Lough Cutra Castle there are lots of moving parts for us to consider to deliver safe, fun and fabulous races on the 29th & 30th May in Galway.

“The decision to defer this race was not an easy one, it was important for us to make this decision now rather than wait with much uncertainty until closer to the May event date.

“From a race delivery and athlete perspective we feel this decision albeit cautious is in the best interest of everyone involved with the event including our suppliers, the local community and of course all of our participants, however, we feel this is the most appropriate course of action to ensure our race can be viable, safe and give our athletes every opportunity to embrace a great weekend of multisport racing later in the year.”

All participants booked to race on the 2021 May date will now automatically be transferred to the new date on 11 and 12 September 2021.

This includes all those athletes whose race entries had been deferred from the May 2020 event.

Additional options for race deferrals to May 2022 or to one of the other events in the Castle Triathlon Series are also being made available to registered participants.