11.1 C
Galway
Home SPORT Coronavirus: Galway v New York SFC clash cancelled

Coronavirus: Galway v New York SFC clash cancelled

The GAA have confirmed that due to uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus pandemic, the Connacht SFC clash in New York has been cancelled.

Galway and New York were due to meet at Gaelic Park across the Atlantic on May 3, but it has been confirmed that this has been postponed.

“The future for this fixture will be considered at a later date and in the context of the anticipated overall re-drawing of the national fixtures calendar for 2020 as necessitated by the ongoing disruption to the GAA games programme,” a statement from the GAA said.

Separately, Galway GAA has advised that all clubs should cancel club activities, as well as close clubhouses and gyms until further notice.

“The clubs of Galway have been fantastic in promoting health and wellness in their clubs and communities and now we can play our part in assisting our members and communities in this very difficult and unprecedented situation that we find ourselves in,” the County Board said.

“We all have a duty of care to each other and also to the wider community and it is expected therefore that everybody across the County will adhere to both the letter and spirit of what has been asked of us in these challenging times.”

All club training and matches had already been cancelled until the end of March at least in a joint decision by the GAA, An Cumann Camógaíochta and the LGFA.

image credit: GAA

Briain Kelly
Email: news@galwaydaily.com
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Man faces trial for allegedly assaulting woman twice

A 28 year old man faces trial for allegedly assaulting a woman and making threats to kill or seriously harm her.Darren Duggan (28), with...

Number of COVID-19 patients in Galway hospitals rises

The number of people at Galway hospitals diagnosed with COVID-19 has increased to 22 according to the latest HSE figures.The latest figures show 17...

“Clothes are not essential” says Minister of State in Prime Time clash last night

Minister of State Damien English has defended the current government restricitons on retail outlets, saying 'clothes are not essential' items.In a debate with Clare...