Tributes paid to teenagers who lost their lives in Menlo Pier tragedy

0
4184
galway daily news Burial today for teenage boy who lost his life in Menlo Pier tragedy

Tributes have been paid to the teenagers who tragically lost their lives when a car entered the water in Galway City in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The teenagers have been named locally as 16-year-old John Keenan, 17-year-old Wojcieck Panek and 19-year-old Christopher Stokes.

Olympic Boxing Club Galway said that Christopher Stokes and John Keenan were both exceptional young men and that they were too young to go.

“Rest in perfect peace boys, we’re all broken-hearted,” they said.

“Our broken heartfelt condolences goes to Anthony and Kate Stokes and Family.”

Earlier on Saturday, the boxing club said: “John has been with us at Olympic BC since he was 10 years old after following his brother Martin Sammon through our doors.

“John had always had a big smile on his face and would go out of his way to do anything for anyone, he never let anything get him down.

“Our sincerest and heartfelt condolences goes out to John’s Brother Martin, his Mother Elizabeth and his brothers and sisters.”

Gardaí and emergency services responded to a car going into the water at Menlo pier on the outskirts of the city at approximately 2:40am on Saturday morning.

Three teenage males were taken from the water and brought to University Hospital Galway.

Two of the males were later pronounced dead at hospital, while Gardaí said that the third was in critical condition. Gardaí confirmed that the third teenager also passed away.