Over 75 groups and individuals will be recognised for their contribution to the community at the annual Galway City Mayor’s Awards taking place via a virtual ceremony next week.
The Mayor’s Awards will be broadcast live online from the Sound to Light studio in Liosban Industrial Estate via Galway City Council’s YouTube channel from 6pm next Wednesday, May 26.
After a year when it has been more important than ever for people to pull together as a community, these awards will recognise groups and individuals who brought their best to support the residents of Galway City.
Mayor of Galway City Mike Cubbard will mark the awards by launching a very special Galway City Community Spirit video, showcasing and highlighting the breadth of community spirit and solidarity that was on show during 2020.
“Having been privileged to see all the nominations that came in, I am amazed by the vast cohort of volunteers that give so generously of their time and energy in what was an extremely challenging year for Galway City, and the country as a whole.
“While we can’t gather together to celebrate in person this year, I really look forward to paying tribute to each and everyone one of them on the night and hope that as many people as possible will join us for what will be a fantastic event.”
Volunteers will be celebrated across nine different categories:
• Arts, Culture, Heritage & Cúrsaí Gaeilge Award
• Residents & Local Areas Award
• Community Service & Social Inclusion Award – Individual
• Community Service & Social Inclusion Award – Group
• Older Person Volunteer of the Year Award
• Sports Volunteer of the Year Award
• Children and Youth Support Award
• Young Volunteer of the Year Award
• Environmental Sustainability Award