Update: Due to a huge amount of applications, the deadline for applications for this Hardship Fund was brought forward to 5pm, Friday 24 April.
A special COVID-19 Hardship Fund has been launched to help older people in vulnerable situations and applications will remain open until the end of August.
People can apply to the fund, launched by Red Cross and Age Action Ireland, for once-off grants of up to €500 per person or household.
The grants cover small household maintenance, repairs and safety improvements, among other items.
The closing date for applications is 31 August 2020, giving people another four months to apply.
Galway East TD Ciaran Cannon said that the fund will assist those in need in a “time of immense financial pressure for many people including our older citizens who are obliged to ‘cocoon’ where they live in line with public health advice”.
Items that fall within the scope of the fund include:
- Small household maintenance, repairs and safety improvements
- Food and basic provisions and associated delivery costs
- Upgraded or New Small Appliances (fridge, freezer, washing machine, TV, cooker, etc.)
- Providing Digital Technology Equipment, for example smart phones or tablets
- Contribution towards increased energy costs or telephone bills
- Contribution towards additional home or personal security costs
- Contribution towards additional travel costs for essential reasons (medical appointments, etc)
Minister Ciaran Cannon added: “I urge older people in the county to apply if they identify any of these urgent needs and Age Action and the Irish Red Cross will assess applications, overseeing distribution of funds on a weekly basis with successful applicants notified as soon as possible”.