Galway Food Tours was crowned the Best Food and Beverage Experience in Ireland at the Irish Tourism Industry Awards this week.
Founded by Sheila Dignam, Galway Food Tours takes culinary enthusiasts on trips through the city and county to experience the best food and drink in the the west.
Weather you’re looking to sample the freshest fare from the markets, taste fine whiskeys, or just indulge your sweet tooth the guides will be sure to accommodate you while showing off the best spots in Galway as well.
The Irish Tourism Industry Awards recognises those people and companies that create enhanced experiences to draw people to Ireland.
Awards are granted across 15 categories for general initiatives like accommodation and marketing, and regional specific awards for the Atlantic Way, Hidden Heartlands, and Ancient East, as well as a special recognition award.
Sheila Dignam said that she was “overwhelmed and delighted” to have won the award for best food/beverage experience, and thanked all the chefs, suppliers and everyone involved in the food scene in Galway.
View this post on Instagram
ok we are super overwhelmed and delighted, just won the best food/beverage experience #ita2019 #irish #tourism #awards Massive thank you to our chefs suppliers owners managers staff all beautiful people of Galway guys without you it wouldn’t be possible …. we love #Galway and @fabfoodtrails Evelyn you legend ❤️
The 2019 Irish Tourism Industry Awards took place at the Clayton Hotel in Dublin on Friday night.
Fifteen winner were chosen from among 75 shortlisted nominees.
Speaking at the event, Tourism Minister Shane Ross said: “I am delighted to acknowledge the hard work and success of all companies at this evening’s event.
“Our successful tourism figures go hand-in-hand with the quality of the Irish tourism and hospitality industry.”
Willie Walsh received the Special Recognition Award for his contribution to Irish tourism as the CEO of Aer Lingus.
The full list of winners from the night is:
- Special Recognition Award – Willie Walsh
- Best International Marketing Initiative – Pharos Reizen
- Best Innovative Place to Stay – The Gleneagle Group
- Best Ireland’s Ancient East Tourism Experience, less than 50,000 visitors – Vagabond Tours of
- Best Ireland’s Ancient East Tourism Experience, greater than 50,000 visitors – House of
- Best Entrepreneurial Tourism Innovation – EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum
- Best Dublin Tourism Experience, greater than 100,000 visitors – Pearse Lyons Distillery
- Best Dublin Tourism Experience, less than 100,000 visitors – The Little Museum of Dublin
- Best Meet in Ireland Business Tourism Innovation – Odyssey International DMC
- Best Food / Beverage Experience – Galway Food Tours
- Best Environmental Tourism Innovative – Vagabond Tours of Ireland
- Best Ireland’s Hidden Heartlands Tourism Experience – Lough Key Forest & Activity Park
- Best Festival / Event Experience – St. Patrick’s Festival
- Best Wild Atlantic Way Tourism, less than 50,000 visitors – A Taste of West Cork Food Festival
- Best Wild Atlantic Way Tourism, greater than 50,000 visitors – Cliffs of Moher
- Best International Access Initiative – Aer Lingus
Photo: Galway Food Tours/Facebook