Charities and community groups in Galway have been awarded almost €750,000 in the latest tranche of funding under the COVID-19 Stability Fund.
This week, Minister Heather Humphreys announced that 209 organisations will receive €11 million worth of funding under the Covid-19 Stability Fund, including 10 organisations in Galway.
Once-off cash injections of between €2,000 and €200,000 are awarded to groups which are experiencing cash flow problems due to COVID-19.
The pandemic has caused extreme difficulties for many charities, as their services are in greater demand than ever before, while it has also become much harder to raise funds, with restrictions ongoing on many events.
In Galway Cancer Care West, the Galway Simon Community, and Galway Hospice all received the maximum amount of funding available of €200k.
Other large awards included €53,549 for East Galway & Midlands Cancer Support, and €22,081 for Connemara Community Radio.
The funding from the Dormant Accounts Fund is designed to support community and voluntary organisations, charities and social enterprises that are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Announcing the funding, Minister Humphreys praised the “valuable contribution” charities and voluntary groups make to society, particularly at this time of crisis.
“I hope that this funding will help to support these organisations to continue to provide their valuable services to the people most in need and support individuals and communities as we work our way through the impact of the pandemic.”
The full list of groups in Galway which were awarded grants under the Stability Fund are:
- Leukaemia Trust/Cancer Care West CLG Galway €200,000
- Galway Simon Community Galway €200,000
- Galway Hospice Galway €200,000
- EGM Cancer Support Galway €53,459
- Westside Resource Centre Limited Galway €20,414
- Connemara Community Radio Limited Galway €22,081
- Williamstown Development Company Limited By Guarantee Galway €3,823
- Athenry Community Council Trust CLG Galway €17,118
- Inishbofin Community Services Programme Co. Limited Galway €7,665
- Area Renewal Company Clifden CLG Galway €17,358