Galway allocated over €4 million for Housing Adaptation Grants

0
1765
Galway daily news Long waiting list for housing adaptation inspections in Galway City

More than €4 million has been allocated for housing adaptation grants in Galway City and County this year.

The  Housing Adaptation Grants are meant for specific home improvements that can help older people and those with a disability to live independently at home.

Minister for Housing Darragh O’Brien today announced a €75 million funding for the scheme this year.

The funding for this scheme is divided in a mix of 80% from the Exchequer, and the remaining 20% coming from the local authority.

Galway County has been allocated a total of €2,920,479 for the scheme in 2021, which includes €2,336,383 from the government and €584,096 local funding.

Galway City is allocated €1,153,836 four housing adaptation grants this year, €923,069 Exchequer funding and €230,767 Council funding.

Galway Senator Aisling Dolan welcomed the announcement, saying that these grants help people to live in their own homes as much as possible.

“These grants are important as they help our older citizens and those with disabilities and mobility issues in Co. Galway to remain living independently in their own homes for longer should they wish and will also facilitate early return from hospital.”

Grants of up to €30,000 are available to assist people with a disability in carrying out necessary works to make a house more suitable for their needs.

Older people can avail of grants of up to €8,000 for necessary repairs or improvements carried out and up to €6,000 for mobility aids.

Senator Dolan said that she receives many requests for information from people seeking to learn about getting a housing adaptation grant, both now and when she was on the county council.

“This fund will now mean more resources available to help older people living on their own in our towns and villages”

Senator Dolan added that this scheme will also have the additional benefits of creating business for local builders, and reduce pressure on the health system by keeping people out of hospital when they can still live at home.

Minister of State for Local Government Peter Burke added “These grants have an huge impact on the quality of life of the many beneficiaries and play a vitally important role in helping people with a disability and people who are reaching an age in life when they are less mobile, to continue to live independently in their own homes.”