The opening ceremony for Galway 2020 which was meant to take place in the Claddagh this evening has been cancelled due to the weather warnings in place today.
Galway 2020 said on Friday evening that they were monitoring the situations, with multiple status yellow and orange weather warnings in place for Galway today.
While yesterday it was still intended to proceed, the organisation said that further updates would be issued on Saturday morning, and the decision has now been made to call off the celebration.
“Galway 2020 is extremely disappointed to announce the cancellation of the finale of our Opening Ceremony this evening due to the severe national weather warnings in place for the whole of today, tonight and tomorrow,” a statement read.
“We have been in constant contact with the relevant authorities since the weather warnings were put in place earlier this week and, in the interests of the safety of the public the weather warnings currently in place mean that it has been deemed unsafe to go ahead.”
“We are saddened for the community cast, our volunteers and the whole team who have worked so hard during the last weeks and months”.
A Status Orange wind warning will be in force from 1pm to 6pm in Galway, with sustained winds of 65-80km/hr expected along with gusts reaching up to 120km/hr.
Beyond that two status yellow alerts for wind and rain are in place this morning and will remain in force until Sunday night as Storm Ciara is expected to batter the west as it passes north of Ireland.
The celebration in South Park which was going to get underway at 6pm would have marked the finale of a week long fire tour through towns around the country, culminating a celebration of music and dance in the city, to be inaugurated by President Michael D Higgins.
No word has been issued yet on what possible rescheduling plans might be made by Galway 2020 for the opening ceremony.