Coronavirus: Teaching, gatherings, and meetings at NUIG cancelled

Galway Daily news Planning sought for massive new development at University of Galway

All teaching at NUIG will cease as of 6pm this evening to combat the spread of the coronavirus, and the university is also taking further steps.

NUIG is cancelling lectures as well as all other gatherings at the university and non-essential meetings to help limit the coronavirus pandemic.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar announced a range of stringent measures this afternoon to help combat the spread of Covid-19, which includes closing all schools and colleges in the country.

The government is also urging the cancellation of any outdoor gathering of more than 500 people, or indoor events with over 100 people.

Teaching will take place online or remotely until March 29 at least, the current timeframe for the measures announced today.

A statement from NUIG said that it has followed all advice from the HSE and Department of Health to date, and that it has agreed to close in order to limit the spread of Covid-19.

“In compliance with this request, all teaching, gatherings, and non-essential meetings, in the University will be cancelled as of 6pm this evening”

“Significant continuity planning is underway in our Academic, Research and Professional Service Units.”  

“The University will endeavour to continue to operate as normal in as much as is possible, by delivering course content online, and through enabling remote working where applicable and possible.”

“We appreciate that this decision will have an impact on all of our community.  In this context the University Management Team is currently analysing the impacts of this decision.  

“The priority for the University is the health, safety, and wellbeing of our Students and Staff, and we would like to thank everyone for their continued support, vigilance, and compliance in this challenging time.” 

The Student Health Unit at NUIG suspended its walk in service as of Monday, and is now operating strictly by appointment.

This was due to one potential case which presented to the unit before being referred onwards to the HSE for testing.