Galway City’s Christmas Market has been declared the eighth best in the world by popular travel magazine Big 7.
The Galway Continental Christmas Market at Eyre Square ranked ahead of some outstanding markets across continental Europe and further afield, including those in Singapore, Helsinki and New York.
Winter Wonders in Brussels topped the list, while Berlin’s world-famous Gendarmenmarkt came second.
Big 7 said that Galway is good-looking all year round, but particularly so when it’s festooned with fairy lights.
Now in its thirteenth year, the annual continental Christmas market is crammed full of more than 50 wooden cabins serving bratwurst, pretzels, crêpes and waffles.
There are also plans for a Big Wheel, carousel, Santa’s Grotto and a German Bier Keller this year.
Galway Christmas Market lasts until December 22 this year.
TOP 10 BEST CHRISTMAS MARKETS IN THE WORLD:
- Winter Wonders – Brussels, Belgium
- Gendarmenmarkt – Berlin, Germany
- Christkindlmarket Chicago – Chicago, USA
- Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market – Birmingham, England
- Christmas Village Belvedere Palace – Vienna, Austria
- Striezelmarket – Dresden, Germany
- Krakow Christmas Market– Krakow, Poland
- Galway Continental Christmas Market – Galway, Ireland
- Zagreb Advent – Zagreb, Croatia
- Sibiu Christmas Market – Sibiu, Romania