Galway United maintained their unbeaten start to the Airtricity League First Division on Friday night as two more Danny Furlong goals and a Conor Barry strike gave them a comfortable win over Cabinteely.

After early misses for Maurice Nugent, Barry and Ryan Connolly, the hosts finally got off the mark in front of 725 people in Eamonn Deacy Park when Furlong struck his fifth goal in three games.

Barry did the work holding off the opposing defence to pick out Furlong and the former Wexford striker made no mistake.

Galway United led 1-0 at half-time and Carlton Ubaezuonu, making his first start, grew in influence after the break and set up the second goal on the hour mark.  Barry was the recipient flicking and volleying past Stephen McGuinness.

Cabinteely were starting to create chances as Kieran Waters and substitute Paul Fox came close but on 68 minutes, they were caught on the counter and Furlong finished for his second to wrap up the points.

Manager Shane Keegan immediately changed his personnel with Furlong, Ubaezuonu and Gary Shanahan brought ashore befoe Joe Doyle got Cabinteely’s first goal of the campaign three minutes from time.  But Galway United had the job done and sit on seven points from three outings.

 Galway United32108357
 Drogheda United2200141136
 Longford Town21105234
 Cobh Ramblers21103214
 Wexford FC3102211-93
 Finn Harps10101101
 Athlone Town3003213-110

GALWAY UNITED 2 (Danny Furlong 42′, 68′, Conor Barry 61′)

CABINTEELY 1 (Joe Doyle 87′)

Galway United: Tadhg Ryan; Gary Shanahan, Stephen Walsh, Maurice Nugent, Marc Ludden; Ryan Connolly, Alex Byrne, Conor Barry, Carlton Ubaezuonu, Eoin McCormack; Danny Furlong.  Subs used: Conor Layng for Furlong (71 mins), Stephen Kenny for Ubaezuonu (72 mins), Aaron Conway for Shanahan (76 mins).

Cabinteely: Stephen McGuinness; Karly Byrne, Conor Keeley, Kevin Knight, Conor Earley; Joe Doyle, Jack Watson, Keith Dalton, Kieran ‘Marty’ Waters; Stephen Ball, Christian Lotefa.  Subs used: Paul Fox for Keeley (54 mins), Kaleem Salem for Ball (70 mins), Eoghan Morgan for Byrne (71 mins).

Referee: Garvin Taggart

Galway United are back in action Monday (March 19th) when they take on Cockhill Celtic in the first round of the EA Sports Cup.  Kick-off in Eamonn Deacy Park is 5pm.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here