Galway allocated €4.5m for housing adaptation grants

0
619
Galway Daily news Galway allocated €4.5m for housing adaptation grants

Almost €4.5 million in funding for housing adaptation grants for older people and those with a disability in Galway has been announced this week.

Minister for Housing Darragh O’Brien has this week announced that €81.25 million in funding for housing adaptation grants will be available in 2022.

This represents an 8.3% increase in funding for the programme on last year, the Minister said.

In Galway City there is a total of €1,168,836 available this year, and in Galway County the programme has €3,306,875 for grants.

“I am delighted to be in a position to allocate increased funding to each local authority so that they can continue to support older people and those with a disability to live independently,” Minister O’Brien said.

“Importantly, home adaptations help reduce the dependency on our health services by supporting independent living for as long as possible,” he added.

He added that it also creates work among local contractors, in a boon for the economy.

The housing adaptation grants programme is 80% funded by the Department, with the remaining 20% coming from the local authority.

Grants of up to €30,000 are available to assist people with a disability in carrying out necessary works to make a house more suitable for their needs.

Additionally, grants of up to €8,000 are available to assist older people to have repairs or improvements carried out on their homes, and up €6,000 is available for mobility aids.

Minister of State Peter Burke said that these grants have a “huge impact” on the quality of life of people with a disability, and older people with mobility issues.